Second person dies in Victorian floods

A woman’s body has been found in a vehicle in floodwaters southwest of Melbourne.

She is the second fatality related to the wild weather that has lashed Victoria this week.

The body was found inside a vehicle in floodwaters off Maddens Bridge Rd at Glenfyne, about 200km from Melbourne, on Friday morning.

Victoria Police said she is believed to be a woman named Nina who went missing from nearby Simpson on Wednesday.

A report will be prepared for the coroner, but the death is not being treated as suspicious.

A man was found dead in his submerged car at the coastal Gippsland town of Woodside on Thursday afternoon.

Meanwhile, the Bureau of Meteorology says there is more rainfall expected which will cause renewed major flooding through west and south Gippsland, particularly Traralgon Creek and the Yarra River.

Gusty winds of up to 60km/h through the region makes for hazardous driving conditions as soils are saturated and already fragile trees could fall, meteorologist Dean Narramore said.

Authorities are most concerned about flooding near the communities of Traralgon, Sale and Yarra Glen, with Mr Narramore telling locals in those areas to “pay extra attention if you’re out and about”.

A flood evacuation warning has been re-issued for Traralgon in Victoria’s Gippsland region.

Anyone near the Traralgon Creek was being told early on Friday afternoon to evacuate now.

“The challenge for our community in Traralgon is while the river has receded and the Princes Highway has reopened, we are expecting to see another 80-100mm of rain over the Traralgon catchment later today and throughout the night,” said SES chief officer operations Tim Wiebusch.

He said there were also major flood warnings for the Yarra and Thompson Rivers, plus three moderate and eight minor warnings.

The weather front that has brought cold temperatures to much of the eastern seaboard hit Victoria on Wednesday night.

SES Victoria has had more than 7400 requests for help, with about 5800 related to fallen trees.

About 2500 of those requests are yet to be cleared.

Mr Wiebusch said as of mid-Friday afternoon, more than 100,000 homes were still without power and 100 roads remained closed, particularly through the Dandenong Ranges.

A strong wind warning was also issued on Friday for Gippsland Lakes and the eastern and central Gippsland coasts.

“We know it is not over yet,” Acting Premier James Merlino said.

“It was quite extraordinary leaving home and driving through the Dandenongs to work this morning, having a few different routes to go through to get off the mountain – massive trees across homes, across the roads,” he said.

Those already in a safe place in Gippsland are urged to stay put for the next 24 to 48 hours when most of the flooding is expected to move through.

Authorities are pleading with locals not to drive through floodwaters.

Two SES members were taken to hospital with non-life-threatening injuries after separate tree-related incidents.

Meanwhile, Sydney shivered through its coldest day in 25 years on Thursday as the cold front affected much of the eastern seaboard.

The cold air mass that blew in from Antarctica, sent temperatures plummeting and caused widespread snowfalls all the way up to the Queensland border.

File source

Show More

Related Articles

Back to top button