United Kingdom

Scots thrash Faroes 7-1 in Women’s World Cup qualifier at Hampden

SCOTLAND made it two wins from two in World Cup qualifying on a night when three players scored their first international goals and had the added bonus of doing so at the national stadium. They sit second in Group B, behind top seeds Spain who made it 17 goals without reply when they beat Hungary 7-0.

Despite the weak nature of the opposition, Pedro Martinez Losa made just one change to the side which had beaten Hungary 2-0 in Budapest on Friday. Aston Villa’s Chloe Arthur came into the midfield, with Christy Grimshaw moving forward to replace Manchester United winger Kirsty Hanson.

“To get my first goal at Hampden, and then another one, it was such a good feeling,” said Arthur.

“You’re going for as many goals as you can in this group and we took that opportunity today. We created a lot of chances and a lot of players got the goals. It was especially good for Jenna on her debut.

“It was a really special night for all of us and having Hampden as our home makes it even more special.”

Two goals in two minutes changed the nature of the first half after a tepid opening 15 minutes. The first, scored by Erin Cuthbert, was simplicity itself, the Chelsea midfielder collecting a throw in from Rachel McLauchlan before taking the ball towards the box and firing a left foot curling shot over the head of Oluva Joensen.

If the Faroes had been congatulating themselves on keeping Scotland out to that point, they lost a second almost immediately. Ross crossed the ball from the byeline and Arthur was strongest at the far post as she headed home her first international goal.

The dream continued for the former Celtic player when she got her second midway through the half. The fourth goal of the first half was also a first international goal, this time for Grimshaw. The AC Milan midfielder only came into the Scotland squad at the start of the year, but again caught the Faroes out at the far post, this time with the side of her foot after Nicola Docherty had provided the cross.

Martinez Losa made three changes at half time, but instead it was the visitors, with their first attempt on goal, who scored three minutes after the resumption.

A corner on the left looked to be covered by three Scotland players, but lone striker Maria Biskopsto flicked the ball home at the near post. The Faroes players, who lost 10-0 to Spain five nights earlier, understandably celebrated as if they’d won the World Cup.

Scotland restored their four-goal advantage just after the hour and this time Arthur was the provider. She tapped a Faroes clearance to one of the three substitutes, Martha Thomas, and the Manchester United forward scored with a deflected shot from the edge of the box.

Glasgow City central defender Jenna Clark came on for her debut six minutes later, and added even to that achievement with Scotland’s sixth. She calmly took down a through ball from Cuthbert before placing a low shot past Joensen.

The best was saved for last when Claire Emslie, who had troubled the Faroes defence all night, curled a free kick from the edge of the box into the far corner to make it seven.

File source

Show More

Related Articles

Back to top button