New Cross flat damaged in fire after unsafe disposal of cigarettes
The fire broke out in Billington Road just before 3pm yesterday (March 28).
A part of a two-roomed flat on the ground floor was damaged by the fire.
Two people left the property before the arrival of the brigade.
No injuries were reported following the incident.
The blaze is believed to have been accidental and caused by the unsafe disposal of smoking materials.
Have you got a story for us? You can contact us here.
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram to keep up with all the latest news.
Sign up to our newsletters to get updates sent straight to your inbox.
A spokesperson for London Fire Brigade said: “We’d rather you didn’t smoke at all, but if you are a smoker, it’s absolutely vital you ensure your cigarette is completely out when you’ve finished smoking it.
“If you don’t, you risk causing a fire which could not only destroy properties but also cost you your life.”
The full statement from London Fire Brigade reads: “Four fire engines and around 25 firefighters tackled a flat fire on Billington Road in New Cross Gate.
“Part of a two-roomed flat on the ground floor of a converted terraced house was damaged by fire.
“Two people left the property before the Brigade arrived. There were no injuries reported.
“The fire is believed to have been accidental and caused by the unsafe disposal of smoking materials.”