There were two more COVID-19-related deaths reported in Middlesex-London on Tuesday. The latest data from the health unit shows high-risk case counts on the decline as the known number of active cases in the region falls.
The Middlesex-London Health Unit (MLHU) posted the deaths of a man in his 80s and another in his 90s who died with the virus. There have now been four deaths in May, including people who were in their 70s and older. The death toll since the beginning of the pandemic is up to 380 for the region.
The number of COVID-19 cases in high-risk settings has been on the decline over the past week, with the seven-day rolling average down to 51, which is about half of what it was the same day last month. The MLHU is only tracking positive results from high-risk settings such as long-term care homes and hospitals. While the health unit is reporting 564 active cases, the actual number is still believed to be much higher.
“We are clearly on the back end of the sixth wave with a ongoing improvement in COVID-19 transmission in our community,” said Dr. Alex Summers, the medical officer of health for the MLHU.
“COVID-19 remains, however, circulating in our community, and my guidance and recommendations continue to hold steady. Wear that mask. Get yourself vaccinated and spend as much time as you can outdoors.”
As of May 7, 88.4 per cent of residents aged 5 and older are now fully vaccinated. Booster doses are available for those aged 12 and up, along with fourth doses for those aged 60 and older, along with First Nation, Inuit and Metis individuals. For more on immunization, visit the MLHU website.
Hospitalizations falling slowly in London
Hospitalizations continue a downward trend with London Health Sciences Centre reporting 33 patients with the virus in care, including 16 who tested positive after being admitted for other ailments. There a five or fewer patients with COVID-19 in intensive care and five or fewer patients in the Children’s Hospital.
There are 140 staff who have tested positive and are isolating, down by 100 from the same day two weeks ago.
There are currently two COVID-19 outbreaks within the hospital network, including one at University Hospital in the U4 Medicine 100 and low 200 wings, and one at Victoria Hostptial in the B4 Neonatal Intensive Care Unit.
COVID-19 across the province
The Ministry of Health is reporting 1,555 COVID-19 hospitalizations, including 188 patients in intensive care. The ministry says 42 per cent of patients were admitted directly for treatment related to the virus, while 58 per cent were admitted for other reasons and tested positive.
There were 19 additional COVID-19-related deaths province-wide, with Ontario’s official death toll at 12,991.